draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-04.txt

IESG,

(I am copying the RFC Editor, since many of these comments are general editorial and policy ones, and Scott in his capacity as editor of the IPR-Submission document as well as 2026.)

My apologies for not sending this sooner, but I only had the opportunity to read all of it carefully this weekend.

Summary: While I don't think it is the intent, this document appears to be setting policy that is contradictory to, or goes beyond, the intent (and sometimes letter) of current operating procedures, the text in 2026, etc. That ought to be cured, in order to avoid turning a confusing situation into a complex mess with many opportunities for misunderstanding and finger-pointing. In addition, some sections of the document do not reflect the high editorial quality that the RFC Editor has apparently come to expect from other authors and editors and others would appear to me to increase, rather than reduce, confusion.

Details and examples...

(1) Section 1.3.1, first paragraph, "All RFCs have been I-Ds, but..." is manifestly false since many RFCs were published before I-Ds appeared on the scene.

(2) Section 1.3.1, second paragraph, "The Internet Draft must include boilerplate that allows...". The boilerplate required is, I believe, an open issue as we rework ipr-submission. I've raised the argument there that, especially for individual submissions, it should be possible to prohibit any tampering with I-Ds (and to require strict interpretation of the "six month expiration" rule) while granting all of the needed permissions for RFC publication. The reference to 1id-guidelines is also problematic, since it is an extremely normative reference (see immediately below) to a document that, in practice, changes (or not) at the whim of the secretariat and for which there are no established change control procedures or tracking mechanisms.

(3) Under the definitions of 2.7, the reference to 1id-guidelines is normative in the extreme: this document sets up a requirement about text that must be included, then refers to 1id-guidelines for the rules about that text. Hence, it is impossible to meet the requirements of this document without reading, understanding, and following that one. This points out a problem with the normative/non-normative distinction that I've seen a few times lately (and IESG may be seeing more often): authors and editors are classifying marginal (or even very clear, as in this case) materials as non-normative in order to bypass the somewhat more strict checking rules for normative documents. That serves us even less well than having the two lumped together. If we can't figure out how to stop it, I would encourage the IESG and the RFC Editor to reconsider the distinction.

(4) Section 1.3.1, third paragraph. The last I heard, submissions from the IAB, or under IAB management (e.g., IRTF documents approved for publication by the IAB) were handled differently from either "individual submissions" or "IETF documents" (processed first by the IESG). That distinction, which was rather carefully worked out, seems to have gotten lost in this draft.

(5) Section 1.3.1, first bullet, first paragraph. Several of us have worked very hard to eliminate the ambiguities that have permitted individual submissions of informational document to go directly to the IESG, bypassing the documented processes, getting extra priority as a result, and creating priority problems within the IESG. The text "however the IESG may occasionally accept..." opens that problem back up again. I believe the text should either explicitly identify this statement as applying to standards-track non-WG documents or should point to the place where the occasional/exceptional procedure is documented. See also (7), below.

(6) Section 1.3.1, first bullet, second paragraph. "TYI" should probably be "FYI". But the IESG should consider whether, with the User Services area closed, FYI documents are largely an historical artifact. Certainly a number of documents on the FYI list are ripe candidates for reclassification to "Historical".

(7) It is not clear to me that the RFC Editor should be obligated to publish anything the IESG signs off on ("submits"). Clearly, standards-track documents must be published. But I'm less sure of WG-produced informational or experimental ones, and much less sure about individual informational submissions that have somehow gotten IESG endorsement. On those, it seems to me that the very essence of an independent RFC Editor is that they should be able to push back if they believe a document is inappropriate. I wouldn't expect they would do that very often, and it would presumably create a crisis if they did, but that is another matter.

(8) Section 1.3.1, second bullet, third paragraph. I believe that the RFC Editor also reviews individual submissions for relevance and appropriateness and, indeed, that the review for those characteristics is the most important RFC Editor discretionary function. Such a review is implied by the following paragraph, but it should be called out along with "editorial issues" here (or the two paragraphs rewritten and their order reversed).

(9) Section 1.3.1, second bullet, paragraph five. We have had problems with the notion of RFC Editor review of individual submissions ever since we changed the procedures to require that review before the document went to the IESG. As one of the people who was at least partially responsible for the change (Scott and I can't remember who proposed the idea), the notion was to reduce load on the IESG by eliminating any document that, on the basis of relevance and appropriateness, the RFC Editor was not going to publish even if the IESG found that it was not harmful or an end run. If the review was conducted the way we anticipated (and I thought we had consensus at the time), it would also reduce overall load on the RFC Editor by preventing having to do anything twice and some things even once. The model was that

(i) The document would go to the RFC Editor, as provided
in 2026.

(ii) The RFC Editor would perform a preliminary review,
focusing on relevancy and appropriateness and the
general question of whether it appeared possible to edit
it into an acceptable form (after a reasonable number of
iterations with an author who was reasonable and
cooperative). If the answer to any of those review
questions was "no", the document would be returned to
the author with appropriate instructions.

(iii) If the answer to those three review questions was
"yes", the document would be sent to the IESG --without
further editing-- for review on the questions of
end-runs and possible harm to the network. Those two
conditions are the only ones for which 2026 gives the
IESG authority to review a document or ask for changes:
"ensur[ing] its technical quality", as suggested by this
document, is not on the list. IESG members may, of
course, comment to the author on technical quality, or
may offer opinions to the RFC Editor on whether it
should be published, but so can any other member of the
IETF community. They have no special standing as the
IESG in that regard, and any sort of "change the
document to make AD XX happy, or it isn't going
anywhere" interactions are process violations.

(iv) Only when the IESG acknowledges (by default if
necessary) that the document does not constitute an end
run and isn't proposing something that would cause
serious harm does document editing and formatting begin.
This permits any edits that are required as the result
of IESG-requested changes to be incorporated into the
first editing pass. If the IESG generates as "please do
not publish" and the RFC Editor agrees, the document
disappears without any editing time being spent. By
contrast, the procedure outlined in the subject
paragraph requires that they document be completely
edited and formatted, sent to the IESG, and then
potentially discarded or extensively re-edited and
reformatted. That doesn't benefit any of the IETF, the
IESG, the authors, people waiting for publication of
other documents, or whomever is paying the bills.

(10) Section 1.3.1, second bullet, paragraph six. This explanation of what happens when the IESG is unhappy with a document does not reflect actual practice, at least as I remember it. The IESG can either request that the document not be published or that a disclaimer be attached to it. Those are two separate types of requests: "DNP or at least attach a disclaimer" is a third possibility, but less common. When the RFC Editor gets _any_ of those inputs, they may:

(i) Reject the document, even if the IESG only requested
a disclaimer.

(ii) Attach a disclaimer and publish. If the IESG
requested non-publication, this presumably requires
going back to the IESG and negotiating a disclaimer.

(iii) In theory, publish the document as submitted
(without a disclaimer), indicating to the IESG that they
are welcome to submit a dissenting RFC.

I believe that the RFC Editor's doing something contrary to IESG wishes in these matters should be a rare situation indeed. But, to the extent to which we want to have an independent RFC Editor process, I believe that they must have the right to make those decisions. If the community believes there is a problem with that level of independence, then we should be devising a review and appeal procedure, not crippling the RFC Editor's choices in this type of document.

(11) Section 2.4, paragraph one. I believe that the list of reasons for "secondary or alternative versions" should now include "characters" as well as [fancy] diagrams and graphs.

(12) Section 2.4, paragraph two ("The continued..."). The notion of permanence of the ASCII-based format belongs in this explanation. To at least some fraction of the community, I think a significant one, the strongest argument for ASCII is that documents in plain ASCII can still be read, without keeping legacy tools around just for the purpose, a decade or two later. That is not the case, so far, for any of the alternate formats that have been proposed over the years (although first-generation Postscript is getting close). Similarly, one of the reasons line-ending hyphenation has always been discouraged (section 3.1(6)) is that it causes problems with grep-like searching of documents.

(13) Section 2.4, paragraph four ("If there is..."). The reference to section 2.4 probably doesn't belong here, since it is section 2.4.

(14) Section 2.7, paragraph 4. This paragraph, as written, seems to make the definitions of RFC 2119 a requirement for standards-track documents which use those words. Our principle has been that the 2119 are normative for the standards-track documents that chose to use them, but that such documents may adopt other definitions. The Instructions for RFC Authors should not change that established rule by requiring that, "if these words are used and capitalized", RFC 2119 must be used and cited.

(15) Section 2.9, paragraph 2. The last I heard, the IETF didn't have "members". I believe "participants" would be more appropriate.

(16) Section 2.11. To the extent that this document should address the "update" and "obsolete" relationships for standards-track materials, it is important, IMO, to clarify whether a document at Proposed can obsolete, or even update, one at Standard. If the answer is "yes in some cases", I believe that decision should explicitly involve the IESG, rather than being an exclusively RFC Editor decision.

(17) Section 2.13. I believe that "satire" in the first sentence should be "satirical". The RFC Editor is to be congratulated on having this subsection appear as number 13.

(18) Section 3.1(2), second paragraph. I think this should be "protocol conventions require" or some other variant. The present text does not parse well.

(19) Section 3.1 and 3.3 generally. As highlighted by a recent set of discussions on the IETF "problem-statement" list, it is important for the RFC Editor (and, where appropriate, this document) to distinguish between the format(s) that are expected as input and those that characterize a finished RFC. For the former, the goal should be to maximize the efficiency of both authors and the RFC Editor. IMO, formatting details --including pagination, headers and footers, and table of contents page references that depend on them-- that the RFC Editor will just need to remove before inserting their own as part of the nroff conversion process should not be required and might appropriately be actively discouraged.

(20) Section 4 (introduction/ section list). I believe that the list would be more useful if "optional" were replaced by something like "required under some circumstances" for sections 3 and 12. Similarly, the IESG note (section 4) is _never_ optional, it is either required or prohibited, and never supplied in a document-as-submitted in any event (nor are several of the header items, including especially "Category", listed in 4.1. Some of this material belongs in a separate document called, perhaps, "How to Read an RFC".

(21) Section 4 (introduction) and 4.7. I have run into a few documents of late (more at the I-D stage than after RFC publication) that are so abbreviation-laden, and sufficiently long, as to be essentially unreadable. For those documents, it may be time to start requiring either a glossary or an index of special terms. I think the document should explicitly call out that possibility.

(22) Section 4.12 on reference formats. As discussed in another context some months ago, the [nn] style of references, as used and therefore implicitly recommended in this document, is somewhat problematic when used with a split (normative/ non-normative) references section. Part of the problem is illustrated on pages 33 and 34 (see (26) below), where the numbers appear in a somewhat-odd order. It would be very helpful if the RFC Editor were extremely clear about what it expects (and would permit) in these cases, perhaps noting that most style manuals that recommend the [nn] form insist that the references be numbered strictly in the order in which the targets appear (which pages 33-34 violate).

(23) Section 4.12 on I-Ds and URLs. While I completely agree on the importance of citing I-Ds only non-normatively (and with "normative" carefully and accurately interpreted, see (3) above) and as "work in progress", I think we do a disservice to the reader by not explicitly identifying these as I-Ds and giving a date. Someone who wants to find those "works in progress" is entitled to hints as to how to try to find them and which one was referred to in constructing the RFC. Otherwise, they aren't references at all, just a rather vague form of handwaving.

(24) Appendix B: The discussion of Microsoft Word should reiterate that RFC 3285 and its template have been tested only on fairly simple documents and may not be suitable for more complex ones.

(25) Appendix C, topic A.7 (and maybe C.1): We forbid categories from appearing in I-Ds. This seems to imply that the RFC Editor requires that the category be filled in correctly before the document reaches them. But, in theory, the only way in which a document reaches them is as an I-D. There is a bit of a problem with this (and elsewhere).

(26) Page numbers and section numbers. It has been a long-standing principle that we try to avoid page number references into RFCs, instead using numbered sections or the equivalent. The list of sections in section 4 of this document appears to follow that model, the document itself does not, resulting in unnumbered appendices and subsequent materials. While I believe the latter is less desirable (and inconsistent with many recent RFCs), I believe even more strongly that we should settle this issue once and for all, establish a norm for it, and get it into this document. Granted "appendices before acknowledgements" make numbering look a little strange, but, from both a formatting and "finding things in the text" standpoint, having security and IANA considerations, etc., unnumbered makes them hard to spot. I believe, fwiw, this is one of the reasons why ISO adopted the term "annex" in preference to "appendix" -- they put them where logic dictates and then just number them as sections (I don't recall whether their style manual calls for

85. Text section
86. Annex 1
87. Annex 2
88. More text
or for
85. Text section
86. Annexes
86.1. Annex 1
86.2. Annex 2
87. More text
but can look it up if that would be useful.

regards,
john