draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-02.txt

Does the IETF have a prefered format for specifying timezones in?

RFC 3339 seems relevant, but its more about specifying the time itself.

The DHC WG has a dhc option they want to advance that holds the
current timezone in it. E.g, excerting Section 5:

> 5. Timezone option
>
>    The Timezone option is used by the server to convey client's timezone
>    information to the client.
>
>    The format of the Timezone option is:
>
>        0                   1                   2                   3
>        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
>       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>       |        OPTION_TIME_ZONE       |         option-len            |
>       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>       |                            time-zone                          |
>       |                              ...                              |
>       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>
>    option-code:   OPTION_TIME_ZONE (tbd)
>
>    option-len: Length of the 'time-zone' field in octets
>
>    time-zone:   Time zone of the client in the format as explained below.
>
>       Std[Offset[Dst[Offset],[Start[/Time],End[/Time]]]]
>
>    where '[' and ']' enclose optional fields, '|' indicates choice
>    of exactly one of the alternatives, ',' and '/' represent literal
>    characters present in the string.
>
>    If "Offset" is specified, then the time-zone is represented in the
>    IEEE 1003.1 POSIX timezone format [3].
>
>       Std      Three or more octets for the standard timezone (Std).
>                Any character (or case) except a leading colon, digits,
>                comma, minus or plus sign is allowed. If the time-zone
>                is not represented in IEEE 1003.1 POSIX timezone format [3],
>                then Std is treated as the index to the timezone database,
>                for example, a file name, from where additional information
>                about the timezone may be obtained.
>
>       Offset   Indicates the value one must add to local time to
>                arrive at UTC, of the form:  [+|-]hh[:mm[:ss]].  Offset
>                following Std is required, if the timezone is represented
>                in IEEE 1003.1 POSIX timezone format. Digits are always
>                interpreted as decimal number.  If preceded by a '-', the
>                timezone is east of the Prime Meridian, otherwise it is west
>                ('+' is optional) The permissible values for hh[:mm[:ss]] are
>                as follows:
>
>                   hh       0 <= hh <= 23
>
>                   mm       0 <= mm <= 60
>
> 		  ss       0 <= ss <= 60
>
>       Dst      Three or more octets for the daylight savings timezone.
>                If Dst is missing, then daylight savings time does not
>                apply in this locale.  If no Offset follows Dst, then
>                Dst is assumed to be one hour ahead of standard time.
>                Any character (or case) except a leading colon, digits,
>                comma, minus or plus sign is allowed.
>
>       Start    Indicates the day of the year, in one of the formats
>                indicated below, when to change to daylight savings time.
>                The ``Time'' field (which follows immediately after a
>                ``/'' character, if present) indicates when the change is
>                made, in local time.
>
>       End      Indicates the day of the year, in one of the formats
>                indicated below, when to change back from daylight
>                savings time.  The ``Time'' field (which follows
> [...]

I'm struck that this document seems to be defining its own format
without really just deferring to some other standard document. Is this
right?

Thomas