draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-04 status

Hello,
I have reviewed the Last Call comments on the Last Call for BCP status on this document.

There seems to be a number of different concerns at various levels:

1 - The document seems to specify the rules for RFC publication in some detail, without being clear about whether it is claiming authority or it is reproducing other documents' rules. In some cases, it seems in conflict with other documents. This needs to be clear and consistent; RFC 2223 is claimed to not have described the publication process.
The suggestion has been made that the policy issues need to be separated out in its own document - perhaps an "RFC Editor charter"? (IAB, Atkinson, others)

2 - The document is somewhat over-specific at some points, such as specifying which utility the RFC Editor uses to produce PDF from text. This is probably inappropriate. (Huston, Moore)

3 - There are references to other specs, such as the IESG "ID-nits", whose stability is less than that of a BCP RFC. The form of these references needs to be carefully considered. (Klensin)

4 - Some considerations (security considerations, IANA considerations) already have, or will have, specific RFCs talking about them. Referencing these is preferable to reproducing a revised version of their content. (Huston, others; IANA had specific text suggestions)

5 - The style of references preferred by the RFC Editor needs to be clear; either the author always gets to choose, or there is one documented style, with justification. (Hoffman, others)

I believe that point 1, 3 and 4 HAVE to be addressed before publication - and that the implications of doing so may be wide enough that I'm holding back on spending significant time on finding smaller nits at this time.

However, this AD thinks that the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation is irrelevant to the content of the document :-)

These comments have been entered into the ID-tracker, and the state changed to "new ID needed". If appropriate, I and several others are available at the IESG retreat for more discussion of the document.

Thank you!

Harald Alvestrand, responsible AD for this document