Notes from IESG Retreat

Dear IESG:

I was talking to Bernard Aboba about our liaison discussions. He does NOT agree that things "seemed to have worked in the past without one." Although he admits that it is probably true for IEEE 802.1, but not for IEEE 802.11.

IEEE 802.11f is a good example of a process breakdown. The RADIUS usage in IEEE 802.11f was never reviewed in IETF, and appears to redefine the meaning of existing RADIUS attributes, and introduces some new security vulnerabilities. However, since IAPP seems unlikely to be deployed at this point, it hardly seems worth fighting over. The new RADIUS IANA considerations document should close the door on this kind of thing in the future.

Russ