Re: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Next Steps in Signaling (nsis)

In general, this charter looks good, but I've got one question about
the security section. In IAB discussions with Ran Atkinson last fall,
it came up that one inhibitor for end to end Diffsrv is that it opens
a potential DoS attack pathway on the receiving network, in that the
attacker can label packets as EF and thereby enhance the effectiveness
of the attack (and potentially overwhelm the EF forwarding capacity of
the routers). According to Ran, this is a major barrier to QoS
deployment among ISPs.

Would it be possible to insert some text into the security section
that specifically mentions security as a barrier to deployment,
something like:

    Security is a very important concern for NSIS. The working group
will
    study and analyze the threats and security requirements for
signaling,
    particularly using threats that are currently acting as barriers
to deployment of
    QoS as examples. Compatibility with authentication and
authorization mechanisms
    such as those of Diameter, COPS-PR, and RSVP-PR auth-session, will
be
    addressed.

Or would this be skewing the charter too much in the direction of the
particular QoS application of NSIS?

            jak