Subject: [Rir-ietf] Recent Request for v6 Space
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:24:22 -0400
From: Ray Plzak <plzak@arin.net>
To: 'rir-ietf' <rir-ietf@ietf.org>

To All:

ARIN recently received a request for address space based on an ID. Our
response is below. By this message ARIN is consulting with the other
RIRs and with the IETF as described in Option 2 of our response.

Ray

##############

Text of Message

We have looked into your inquiry regarding the special case allocation of a /32 to be reserved for Teredo clients. Current ARIN policy precludes making allocations based on Internet-Drafts. In the case that this Internet Draft results in an RFC with an IANA consideration, the /32 prefix for Teredo clients could be made through coordination between the IANA and ARIN. Otherwise, a policy would need to exist in the ARIN region that allows the allocation of IPv6 address space for the purposes described in
your inquiry.

We must consider your argument, however, that your organization will be releasing a service to customers that will rely on an implementation similar to what is described in the Internet Draft you have cited. We do have a concern, however, that if we make an allocation to Microsoft with the understanding that this /32 will be used for one of their service offerings to customers, that organizations other than Microsoft will also utilize this /32 for Teredo client implementations. Making this allocation could then be viewed as the Regional Internet Registries subverting the processes of the IETF.

We see ARIN's options in regards to your inquiry as follows:

1) Take no action until the processes of the IETF produce an RFC with IANA considerations.

2) Discuss the challenges of this situation with the IETF and
the other RIRs to determine if there are alternatives we
have not discovered.

3) Look into possible policy changes in the ARIN region that
would allow IPv6 allocations of this type.

We are going to move forward with option #2 at this time.
Please let us know if you would like to pursue option #3
in addition to option #2.