Re: Document Action: A Framework for Layer 3 Provider Provisioned Virtual Private Networks to Informational

Paul,

Thursday, May 29, 2003, 9:12:57 AM, Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:
> Er, this is incredibly confusing. I can't tell what changes are being
> asked of the RFC Editor. This document is vitally important in the
> VPN industry because it sets the groundwork for the other standards
> that might eventually come out of the PPVPN WG; not knowing what it
> will look like when it becomes an RFC is going to be a real
> hinderance.

> I hope this isn't a new, "friendlier" document action format.

> --Paul Hoffman
> --VPN Consortium

The rfc-ed note for this document was filed in the I-D tracker
available at https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi

Below's the text of the note.
Hope this helps.

Alex

rfc-ed note:
Section 4.2.1.1, 1st paragraph

Replace OLD:
  VPN configuration information could be
  entered into the network management application and distributed via
  SNMP, XML, CLI, or other means to the remote sites.

With NEW:
  VPN configuration information could be
  entered into a network management application and distributed to the
  remote sites via the same means used to distribute other network
  management information.

Section 4.3.6.2, 6th paragraph (5th item)

Replace OLD:
    An SP network which supports VPNs must do extensive IP address
    filtering at its borders to prevent spoofed packets from
    penetrating the VPNs.  An SP network which supports VPNs must do
    extensive IP address filtering at its borders to prevent spoofed
    packets from penetrating the VPNs.

With NEW:
    An SP network which supports VPNs must do extensive IP address
    filtering at its borders to prevent spoofed packets from
    penetrating the VPNs.

Section 4.7.1, 4th paragraph

Replace OLD:
  Use of proprietary command-line interfaces is
  highly undesirable for this task, as they do not lend themselves to
  standard representations of managed objects.

With NEW:
  Use of proprietary command-line interfaces has
  the disadvantage that proprietary interfaces do not lend themselves
  to standard representations of managed objects.

Section 5.2, 3rd paragraph

DELETE OLD:
  With layer 3 VPNs it is normal for PEs to have a physical link per
  VPN.  In this case the PEs which terminate the interworking interface
  have a tunnel per VPN.

Intellectual Property, 1st paragraph

Replace OLD:
  The IETF has been notified of intellectual property rights claimed in
  regard to some or all of the specification contained in this
  document.  For more information consult the online list of claimed
  rights.

With NEW:
  The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
  intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
  pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
  this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
  might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
  has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
  IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
  standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11.  Copies of
  claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
  licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
  obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
  proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
  be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

  The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
  copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
  rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
  this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
  Director.