Requests to Publish IDs as RFCs

Dear IETF Working Group Chairs:

It seems that my message of June 3rd regarding when to use the subject line "Request to Publish: <insert file name of ID>" was not clear and can be misinterpreted. If you found it confusing, you were not alone. Below is my attempt to clarify the various points of confusion that have been brought to my attention.

(1) Internet Drafts, and updates to Internet Drafts should continue to be submitted to "internet-drafts@ietf.org."

(2) Requests to advance an Internet Draft to an RFC should be sent to one of your Area Directors with a copy to the Secretariat at "iesg-secretary@ietf.org." It is for such requests that the Secretariat is suggesting that you use "Request to Publish: <insert file name of ID>" in the subject line.

(3) Each Working Group has an Area Advisor, and I assume that you would normally send requests to advance an Internet Draft to an RFC to him or her. If you send it to the other AD, then the Secretariat will assign it to that AD. If you send it to both ADs, then the Secretariat will assign it the Area Advisor for you group.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments. And please be assured that the Secretariat staff will do its best to process your requests in a timely fashion...regardless of how you phrase them in the subject line.

Regards,

Barbara

Barbara B. Fuller
Acting Executive Director