RE: Last Call: WebDAV Ordered Collections Protocol to ProposedStandard

I agree that server-side ordering should be deferred to a subsequent
release of the ordering protocol.  If Chris identifies anything in the
current ordering protocol that would conflict with server-side orderings,
he should raise that as an issue ASAP.

Cheers,
Geoff

w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org wrote on 06/09/2003 12:44:11 PM:

> Chris,
>
> You are right -- the last call draft doesn't try to specify server
> maintained orderings. Looking at your draft, it seems to apply to
> server-side sorting, which may have it's place in WebDAV SEARCH [1].
Note
> that the plan for WebDAV SEARCH is to make use of collations as defined
in
> XSLT 2.0 and XQuery, once they become ready. So you may want to check
how
> your work fits into that framework as well.
>
> As far as I understand, there's currently nobody working actively on
WebDAV

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html>

> --

Proposed

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-i18n-comparator-00.txt

> > I request that an expert in the webdav community review my draft
> > to make sure
> > that is compatible with the webdav ordering draft.  From a brief
> > skim of the
> > webdav ordering draft it appears it has left "server-maintained"
> > ordering as a
> > future work item, so I expect no problems.  However, it would be a
good
> > validation of the webdav ordering extensibility model to confirm it is
> > compatible.
> >
> > It is possible the webdav ordering draft could support
server-maintained