Re: draft-pillay-esnault-ospf-flooding-05.txt

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Alex Zinin wrote:
> >> DoNotAge LSAs, which are the only part of 1793 that this document
> >> requires, are already a subset - do you mean a subset of DNA?
>
> > No, I meant 1793.  It is not clear enough, IMO, which parts of 1793 are
> > required to implment draft-pillay-esnault-ospf-flooding-05.txt.
>
> In case you didn't see it, below is my message to Randy and IESG that
> should help answer most of your questions.

Yes, this clarifies it.  What I'd like to see is a more explicit
description of what 1793 entails and what's required, like you gave.

> First-hand info (Padma and I were in the same company then): it was
> asked by customers: "I see too many refreshes floating throughout the
> network, and I can bump my refresh timer in ISIS, but there's nothing
> like this in OSPF". As more stuff was put in the IGPs (e.g. TE
> attributes) and networks grew bigger, customers asked more and more to
> make the OSPF refresh interval configurable, rather than constant. So,
> we have this hack now.

"If you use OSPF for TE, this is the price you pay; a loss of 0.01% of
bandwidth."

(Personally, I fail to see why just rigging up the timers wouldn't be the
simplest choice, if the same is done with IS-IS *anyway*.  Of course, you
can always shoot yourself in the foot..)

> >>I'd guess that changes the OSPF protocol assumptions quite a bit.
>
> The DNA mechanism does change the assumption, but this not something
> new that this draft introduces. DNAs are defined in 1793.

And if 1793 does not adequately discuss the topic?

> >>  I didn't bother to check how well they were
> >>documented in the OSPF DC circuits doc, but I wouldn't count on it.
>
> In fact, 1793 does talk about it, and explains decrease in robustness
> quite nicely. Please take a look at section 6.

Yes, there is some text, but I would not call that particular half-page
too convincing.