Re: Laugh Test: xcon BOF

--On onsdag, juni 18, 2003 23:20:57 -0700 Mark Handley <mjh@icir.org> wrote:

The following items are specifically out-of-scope:
- Voting
- Multicast media (due to security concerns)
- Fully distributed conferences
- Loosely-coupled conferences (no central point of control)
- Far-end device control
- Protocol used between the conference controller and the mixer(s)
- Capabilities negotiation of the mixer(s)
- Master-slave cascaded conferences

I have no problem with narrowly defining the focus of such a proposed
WG, but this seems to go a little too far.  In particular, I don't see
any reason to prohibit the use of multicast for media distribution.
was the intent of the proposers in prohibiting multicast that you would have a hammer to get the "just use multicast" crowd to shut up?

I have a perception that there's a group of people who have the automatic linkage "conferencing means multicast", and wonder if the proposer may be a person who is fed up with discussing with them.... I may be unkind to both.

Harald