Re: Use of RFC 2119 Language In Experimental RFCs

James,

there has been different opinions within the IESG on this issue.
What I've consistently argued for is that RFC 2119 language is an internal matter for the document - an experimental or informational protocol should have the same tools to specify how it is supposed to be used as standards-track protocols.

The counterargument I've understood is that documents that use this language "look too much like standards-track protocols" - an argument I have not found convincing.

Recently, it seems that the IESG has come down on my viewpoint.
IESG folks - do we need to make an IESG statement on this?

Harald