jabber identity

when i was in group chat and someone questioned my identity,
i suggested hta hand me a nonce in a p2p pgp secure session,
and i would then replay the nonce on group chat.

as smb pointed out, this left us open mitm between (hta|me) and
the group chat.  in this case, both hta and i had ssl to the
server on which the group chat was being hosted.  but how could
you know that?

i have not read the jabber drafts, but i have to ask.  given the
remarks on the need for identity in the rather educational, at
least to me, paper scott brimm pointed us to,
<http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html>, and the
discussion we had before chartering the jabber wg (which was going
to complete last december, right hrn crocker and rose?), does the
ietf jabber work address this problem well?

randy