Re: COACH BoF

My concern is that some of the suggestions introduce more process, at a
time when I perceive the mood of the IETF to be anti-process.  We can
certainly assert that front-loading the process will produce better
documents that will clear the IESG faster, but lots of people won't
believe that -- witness the same discussion about software engineering.
Some of the "suggestions" would effectively make improvement difficult to impossible, so that the cure could be worse than the disease.

At the moment, WG chairs are often motivated to improve quality out of the belief that they are more likely to be successful if they do. So to some extent, "best practices" can spread by providing mechanisms by which they can be documented -- and providing a venue for WG chairs to discuss what they are doing and how well it is working.

There are many ways that such efforts could be encouraged (including having issue tracking software be made available to WGs looking to use it), but requiring that improvements go through a rigorous experimental design/measurement process isn't one of them.

a "sense of the room" was not taken
I'm not sure that a "sense of the room" in a small BOF is much of a basis for making IETF wide decisions.