Re: IETF Participant Behaviour

Mike,

I have discussed the matter of T-shirts with the ADs. There are multiple issues here.

- You seem to misunderstand the role of the IETF Area Directors. Our job is to have opinions, based on our best judgment of the technology and situation of the community. And our job is to change those opinions when new facts become apparent.

- Differences of opinion in the IETF sometimes become quite pointed, and may cause working groups to lock up. When someone is sufficiently upset by the situation to start printing T-shirts, this is often an effective means of calling attention to the fact that this has happened. See "SIG happens. What NXT?" for one example from a different WG.
Leadership people wearing T-shirts is also a means of saying "I hear your concerns" to those who make the T-shirts.

Notwithstanding the above, I have reminded the IESG that they need to be conscious of the message they are sending on stage. It's not their job to be neutral, but it is their job to listen to everyone's argument, and be ready to change their opinion when this is the right thing for the IETF and the Internet - and to make sure that the community knows they are ready to listen.

The response from the IESG was "that's obvious".

Harald