Re: Next steps

Hi Brian,

At 08:34 AM 7/21/2003 +0200, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
The reason I raised my hand against a design team is because
that suggests a closed method of picking them, as usually
practiced in WGs. An open process (Avri has a suggestion)
to pick a blue ribbon panel is much better.
my headache with an open process to pick a blue ribbon panel is that before we can pick the panel, we have to have a community consensus for the method by which we pick it.... this, too, takes time.
Is there something wrong with reasoning that runs like this:

We already have a community-approved, representative  method for
picking people to manage the IETF -- the method is called the
nomcom process, and the people they picked are called the IESG.

So, we don't need to create a new blue-ribbon panel, a WG, a design
team or any other construct to manage the IETF.  It's the IESG's
job, and we should do it -- while offering appropriate community
visibility and opportunities for community review and feedback, of
course.

Margaret