Re: ISO 3166-1 Newsletter V-8 on Serbia and Montenegro published

On onsdag, jul 23, 2003, at 23:29 Europe/Stockholm, Michael StJohns wrote:

At 16:58 7/23/2003, Patrik Fältström wrote:

This is the key part which I hope answers your question Mike? ISO 3166 will simply in realty _NEVER_ reassign a code which has been a country to another country.
Umm... didn't they just do exactly that?

Please note that the alpha-2 code "CS" represented "Czechoslovakia" in
ISO
3166-1 until 1993. After the split-up of the country into "Czech
Republic"
and "Slovakia" in 1993 it remained on the list of reserved codes until
now.
This is only the second time since 1974 that a withdrawn code element
has
been re-assigned to a new country name.
Duhh....sorry. Can not explain I didn't get this from your earlier mail. I also completely missed this when I read and re-read and re-re-read their text.

Yes, having .cs reassigned IF there was any DNS servers for it would have been problematic.

paf