Re: CAPWAP BOF follow up: nmrg - CAPWAP

> Secure boot would be a useful thing to have

but how far does that go toward allowing me to deploy a mixed vendor
wireless network?
Secure boot is an orthogonal issue. It's what happens *after* the boot imagine is loaded that is important for the purposes of interoperability.

i believe that a bit of thought will make you suspect that a
multi-device environment, where different devices have different
load-balancing algorithms, or even the same algorithms with
different constants, will lead to serious thrashing.
We see thrashing already even where the devices have the same algorithm. For example one vendor who shall remain nameless exports the number of users on the AP. Unfortunately, this causes the clients to associate with an AP that has recently rebooted -- which is often the one that has got something wrong with it. This kind of instability can occur with any "load" based load balancing algorithm if an AP has a tendency to crash or reboot under high load.

To my knowledge, I'm not aware of any implemented products that try to determine whether an AP is actually functioning before moving client load to it. This is particularly sad since these same lessons had to be learned in Web load balancing over the last few years. I still remember the "load balancing" device that measured response time, only to shovel the clients to the server that was responding with "HTTP 404" very quickly.

Given that effective load balancing requires interactions between clients and APs, and given the quality of vendor "value add" so far, it would be difficult for the IETF to create algorithms any worse than what is already shipping in today's products.