SMTP blocked between ISPs

Telia, the largest ISP in Sweden is forced by AOL to block all outbound connections towards port 25 at some random destination from DSL customers (and ISP's which are virtual ISPs regarding DSL in the network Telia own). Reason is that AOL threatened to block Telia AS from accessing all AOL services if this doesn't happen.

Telia in the pressrelease just issued asks customers confirms people with their own SMTP servers will no longer be able to access AOL. Instead, their users should get email accounts at Yahoo, Hotmail or the ISP they use (Telia or one of the virtual DSL providers).

I have talked with Telia a lot of times (and they have talked with me). The problem Telia has is that they very very seldom get the IP addresses of the hosts which have sent spam to AOL, but because AOL is larger, the only thing they can do is to do as AOL requests. I know Telia has a large group of "hunters" finding hosts running relay-smtp-servers and spammers, so I know they do probably more than most other ISPs. Still AOL have hunted Telia for months now.

I have not heard anything else from other ISPs so the question is whether Telia has exceptionally bad customers, or if this is just because Telia is large, and we will see similar things from other ISP's later on.

What worries me is that this blocking of port 25 is going _against_ the path which I want to see, that we have no relay in the world. Blocking port 25 _increases_ the amount of relays.

So I don't see it stopping anything at all. Because of this, AOL forces Telia to do the wrong thing.

Like peeing in the pants. Nice for a while, but then extremely cold and nasty.

Anyone know anyone at AOL which one can talk with about their thinking? (I know people at Telia.)

Anyone have seen this in other locations?

paf