RE: WG Review: Centralized Conferencing (xcon)

I think Transport is the right area because of XCON's strong relationship to
SIP, SIPPING, MMUSIC and AVT; while it may be an historical accident that
those groups are in Transport, it wouldn't benefit the situation to locate
XCON elsewhere - it would just give rise to more need for cross-area review.
While early input from Security and Applications would undoubtedly be
valuable, XCON will be a customer of the work of those areas, not a group
that's designing competing protocols - certainly, XCON has neither the
expertise nor the inclination to design security mechanisms comparable to
the work in, say, MSEC. Transport is also the area where the necessary SIP
expertise is the most concentrated; the day may come when SIP expertise is
as common outside the Transport Area as IP expertise is outside the Internet
Area, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your point about late surprises is a good one, though, and we plan to make
sure that we have considerable input from Apps and Sec where relevant very
early in the process.

- J