Re: IAB comments on draft-baker-liaisons-00.txt

At 06:37 PM 8/15/2003 -0400, Leslie Daigle wrote:
This seems to open the door to suggesting to other SDOs that they don't need to interact with the IETF the same way as all individual participants of the IETF -- through I-Ds.
Something you might want to carefully consider and have a good answer to:

The position of some in the IETF has consistently been that any communication from another body to us should use our communication mechanisms. Any time the ITU wants to say something to us, they should use an internet draft. That draft should be expressed as a flat ASCII file, in order to avoid proprietary formats, and have certain headers and trailers describing copyrights, status for usability as a source of text, and so on.

In all fairness, it would be perfectly reasonable for other bodies, such as ITU, to insist that any communication from the IETF to them use their communication mechanisms. Any time we want to say something to the ITU, including such memoranda as a reply to an internet draft posted by a person claiming to represent the ITU, we send a meeting contribution. A meeting contribution is a file in Microsoft Word 2.0 format, on the letterhead of the company that is a sector member of the ITU which we represent, representing the collective opinion of that company on a certain topic. The exact contents of the contribution are largely irrelevant, however, as it will not be directly referred to and cannot actually be counted on has having been read. Rather, the contribution serves as a ticket for a person attending the meeting to get an opportunity to make a presentation on the concept contained therein and participate in the midnight editing sessions from which the ITU document actually results.

Yes, I have worked in certain ITU processes to develop documents; I do know whereof I speak.

If we would not like ITU and others to make what we would consider outrageous demands on how we might communicate with them, it might serve us well to consider being flexible on the manner in which they communicate with us. Inflexibility on our part does not help build a productive relationship.