Re: Attempt at an overview of what's going on

--On 8. september 2003 14:29 -0400 Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Here's a suggestion for text to make visible on "what's currently going
on  within the IETF to address problems".

To be clear, what do you intend to do with this? Post to ietf-announce? on the IESG web page? And this is a message from who? the chair? The IESG? Or?

Good question. I've been asked a number of times about "the big picture" of what's going on and what's being planned - and this might be a tool both to clarify the picture of what's going on for ourselves, and communicate that effectively with others. But that requires us (collectively) to know that this is the picture we want to present.

The least amount of publication I think is reasonable to do is to put it up on the IETF Chair's page (or, alternatively, the general area page) and mention it on the problem-statement list.

The most amount of publication would be the same thing, but also send its existence to ietf-announce.

In both publication levels, I would want to keep the page updated as new efforts come forth and old efforts produce results that can be pointed to.

WRT the status of the page - I think it should be either a "message" from the IETF chair on behalf of the IESG ("this is the current status of the IETF efforts at change") or from the general AD with the advice of the IESG ("this is the summary of efforts relevant to the General area").
If we want to allow for the IESG to back off and say something completely different later, it should be the last one; if not, the first one may be better.

Your thoughts?