Re: Question about list members masquerading as someone else

Question: Is one of the persons of the pair named Jeff Williams?
He has been haunting IETF lists for years, and has been found guilty of using multiple identities in the past.

What I did in the (ICANN) context where I confronted him with it was to establish a rule that people were entitled to "one voice only", and that if challenged, they had to provide some proof of distinct identities to a third party.

Jeff Williams never did anything but bluster - and I removed four of his alternate identities from the list.
That's one reason why he puts "CENSORSHIP IN ALL ITS FORMS IS WRONG" in every post that he sends where I am involved....

I'd suggest doing some legwork:
- check if there are indications that the two persons both exist - most workers in IT leave an imprint somewhere.
- check if they are connecting in ways that are very cheap (for instance free service providers)
- don't overlook the obvious, like seeing if they're listed in the telephone directory - but carefully; one of the names used by Jeff Williams belonged to a real person living at the address he claimed - but that person had never heard of ICANN.....

if you do find that there's good reason to suspect that they are one and the same, one fairly easy means of verification is to ask them (separately) to send you their phone number so that you can talk to them......

Harald