Re: Evaluation: draft-iab-isocbot - IETF ISOC Board of Trustee Appointment Procedures

Very weak discuss, would like to hear from leslie/iab.

> 3.3 Confirmation
>
>    The IESG will act as the confirming body for the selection.  In the
>    event that the IESG determines not to confirm the nominated
>    candidate, the IESG will provide the IAB with the basis for this
>    determination and the IAB will nominate another candidate.

I think I understand the basic intent here, but the above also could
be read to say if the IAB picks Joe, IESG rejects, the IAB can't
resolve the IESG's issues and then renominate. Of course, this could
all be handled by having the IESG informally raise concerns first,
then discuss, then make a final decision. And that is probably fine,
so long as everyone understands the need for this.

> 3.5 Mid-term Vacancies

I'm somewhat confused by the text in this section.

>    This document describes the process for the general, annual
>    appointment of ISOC Trustees to fill the seats of Trustees whose
>    terms are ending.  However, if an IETF-appointed Trustee is unable to
>    serve his or her full term, the IAB will, at its discretion, either
>    immediately select a replacement representative to serve the
>    remainder of the term using an interim process, or select an
>    additional Trustee to serve the remainder of the term as part of the
>    next annual selection process.

>    If the IAB elects to fill the mid-term vacancy before the next annual
>    selection, a separate timeline will be announced and the rest of the
>    process described in this document will be followed.

The last part of the first paragraph is a bit confusing to me. I
gather that the intent here is to say something like if a resignation
happens less than year before a term expires, then the new appointment
serves the remainder of the current term plus the next term. Except
not say this precisely.

Three issues with the current text:

1) why use the term "representative" vs. "trustee" above? Is this
   intentional or meaningful?

2) There is talk about both an "interim process" and "the rest of the
   process described in this document will be used". I have a hard
   time understanding what part can be ad hoc and what part can't.

3) There is no text suggesting when to go with an interim replacement
   vs. replacement for the next term. Would it make sense to add a
   rule saying a remaining term of less than a year extends the
   appointment into the following term, but more than a year makes the
   appointment interim? (I don't feel strongly about this, but I'm a
   bit surprised it's not specified).

Thomas