Re: Evaluation: draft-iab-isocbot - IETF ISOC Board of Trustee Appointment Procedures

Hi Leslie.

> My understanding is in line with what you've described -- that
> the IAB can't renominate the same person, and that it would be better-
> handled by informal discussion beforehand.

> Is the text, then, sufficiently clear?

Yes. No change needed.

> Here's a proposed clarification:

> 3.5 Mid-term Vacancies

>     This document describes the process for the general, annual
>     appointment of ISOC Trustees to fill the seats of Trustees whose
>     terms are ending.  However, if an IETF-appointed Trustee is unable to
>     serve his or her full term, the IAB may, at its discretion,
>     immediately select a replacement to serve the remainder of the term
>     using the interim process defined in Section 3.5.1.  If the IAB does
>     not invoke the interim process, the next annual selection process
>     will fill the vacancy as well as the regular appointment for the
>     year (if there was more than a year left in the Trustee's term).

I assume "a year or more left" is intended here.

Pretty close. How about  the following for the last sentence:

     If the IAB does not invoke the interim process, the next annual
     selection process will fill the vacancy (if the vacant term does
     not end at that point) as well as the regular appointment for
     that selection cycle.

> 3.5.1 Interim Appointment Process

>     If the IAB elects to fill the mid-term vacancy before the next annual
>     selection, a separate timeline will be announced and the rest of the
>     process described in this document will be followed.

Looks fine.

> I don't know if this would be handle-able in an RFC-Ed note, or
> if this is big enough to require a doc rev.

I can go either way. Partly depends on how much bother it will be to
reissue the document (and I will note that the IAB members listed in
the document reflect the IAB at the time the document was last issued,
so that might factor in...)

Thomas