Re: draft-ietf-idwg-beep-tunnel-05.txt

Joyce,

at first thought, I believe the processing overhead of deciding for each set of documents whether they need to be published together or not would be considerable for the IESG; the decision to ballot together is mostly made based on them being processed in the WG together and forming part of the same WG effort, not on whether they need to be published together. And conversely, there are often blocking references that cause documents to form a set, even though they are not balloted together.

I suggest that if you have a document that is ready to publish, and there are other documents in the same set that are blocked on normative references, the RFC Editor makes a general policy out of asking the authors before blocking the publication.

That said, I think the situation with documents awaiting normative references is troubling, with many documents having waited far too long, and would be happy to see some work done by somebody on (for instance) contacting the authors and asking their assistance in hunting down the blockers for these references, so that their documents can be published.

Harald