Re: [Rps] Re: Last Call: 'RPSLng' to Proposed Standard

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309211712130.7588-100000@netcore.fi>, Pekka Savola w
rites:

> > > A fatal assumption.  In about all academic networks and backbone transit
> > > providers -- which are significant users of RPSLng -- multicast and
> > > unicast topologies are very much the same.
> > >
> > > Ours (and many others') policies are identical.
> >
> > I seriously doubt this is common unless you have a small number of
> > peers.  The majority of providers support IPv4 unicast only so policy
> > for multicast or IPv6 is meaningless.
>
> You fail to see that *we* set up the policies common to everyone we peer
> with; we advertise both BGP unicast and multicast routes to everybody
> equally. Almost nobody uses them, though, but that's not *our* problem.
> We just wnt to have an equal policy for everyone.
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > A smaller issues, yes.  However, from "the use of tools" perspective,
> > > people will use both IPv4 and IPv6, and similar formats would be useful.
> >
> > They are similar formats.
>
> That's good.  Taking an example with IRRToolSet, I want to embed both RPSL
> and RPSLng format attributes or commands in a single text document, which
> I will pass through IRRToolSet _once_. (e.g., requiring to run the tool
> twice, once for each support with different command-line arguments is
> unreasonable.)

RPSLng is a superset of RPSL.  After some **testing** of the RPSLng
server code, the entire database will be RPSLng.

The only issue will be whether RPSL only query clients will be
accommodated by 1) extracting the non mp-* RPSL from any RPSLng
entries that match the queries (by the server code) or 2) non mp-*
RPSL will be generated for the IPv4 part of the mp-* entries when
entered into the database, or 3) whether end users will have to submit
non mp-* for ipv4-unicast.

The point it that there are multiple ways to accommodate older client
code during transition.  Which method of transition to pick is
something more appropriate for a RIPE meeting, not for the language
spec.

> > > These are the issues I think will need *explicit* consideration before
> > > going down the path of happily adopting RPSLng.  What if there are some
> > > holes in the spec or how it is implemented, or a clear view (for everyone
> )
> > > on what's the overall plan for deploying RPSL and RPSLng?
> >
> > It was just considered above.  I thought that was obvious enough since
> > this is similar to past transitions and I understand how the mp-* were
> > intended to be used.  If you want something in the spec on transition,
> > a paragraph or two from this email message can be added.  I don't
> > think its needed but it wouldn't hurt.
>
> Well, I can see multiple possible ways to do so -- so this the way forward
> does seem to use a bit of phrasing.
>
> Something added to an appendix would likely be very useful.

Good.  The comment above about 3 ways to do the transition might also
help.  The draft authors should feel free to reword any of this as
they see fit.

> --

Curtis