Forward: belated september rssac liaison report

Bert suggested that I forward this.

--- Begin Message ---
I was lame, didn't get a written report in on time, and missed the
September telechat because Patrik and I were off talking to people
about DNS at UCLA that day.   I did send Geoff a brief "placeholder"
message but I dunno if anybody saw it.  Anyway:

- RSSAC had some discussion about renumbering several of the root
  servers.  The issue is that several of the hosting organizations are
  tired of having the root servers tied to the IP address space they
  use for everything else.  Eg, both ISI and UMD want these things
  disassociated from their campus networks.

  The plan seems to be to do these one at a time, to keep a server at
  the old address for at least three years (ie, continue to provide
  root service at the old address, but stop advertising it), and
  attempt to track the decay rate of packets going to the old address
  to try to figure out what a safe rate of change is in this space.
  Supposedly the data will be "shared", dunno whether that means just
  among the root ops or publicly.

  B is going first because they asked first.  D would like to go
  sometime next year.  Note that J moved last year via approximately
  this plan, without a lot of fuss.

- Renewed interest in distributing AAAA RRs for several of the root
  servers.  B and F have both submitted requests, M is considering
  doing so.  Current theory is that there's room for two AAAA
  addresses in the default 512 octet DNS message, so there's some
  question of how to pick the first two.   Discussion seems to have
  fizzled on this one (again).

- Autonomica has deployed an anycast clone of the I root server at
  FICIX in Helsinki.  More I clones on the way this year.

- [Not for the minutes]
  Output of CAIDA's ongoing attempts to monitor root server
  performance showed some faster-than-light response times due to
  confusion about which physical server out of a given anycast group
  was answering queries.  Much fun had by all.

That's it.  Sorry for the delay.  Geoff, I dunno how much of the first
three items should go in the minutes, I don't think any of it's
confidential, but you may want to distill it down a bit.

--- End Message ---