Re: Proposed Enroll Charter

some comments inline, mostly questions for clarification....

--On 24. september 2003 16:35 -0400 Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> wrote:

Chairs: Eric Rescorla Paul Hoffman

Security Advisor:
		Don Eastlake

a very interesting triplet of personalities!

There are many cases where a service consumer needs to obtain credential
information from a service provider and provide for some type of
information for validation of identity.  This working group will look at
some of the cases dealing with the use of cryptographic algorithms for
providing this information.

I have problems parsing. You MAY mean:

"There are many cases where a service consumer needs to contact a service provider to get credentials that the consumer can use when accessing the service; part of this initial contact may involve the consumer and the provider mutually validating the other's identity."

"This working group will look at some of the cases where cryptographic algorithms are used as part of the procedure for validating the identities."

But another interpretation is that the enrollment procedure creates the identity, and that validation is what happens when you use the service.

When doing enrollment of a service consumer against a service provider,
three pieces of information need to be provided or created in order to
support authentication of the service consumer to the service provider
(and visa versa) and to allow for additional security services to be
provided any information exchanged.  These pieces of data are:

1. The "entity label" for the service consumer,

I think you mean an identifier, within a namespace controlled by the service provider, for the service consumer. But I'm not sure.

2. A piece of keying information to be used

to be used for the interchange of identity-validation information, or to be used for the use of service?

3. A set of permissions for operations for the service consumer.

To be used for letting the provider know what services the consumer wants to access, letting the consumer know what services he is being allowed access to, or both? Or does this refer to data items kept within the service provider, to be checked when the consumer tries to use the service?

Each of these data items could be created by either the consumer or
provider at any point during the enrollment process.

This group will create a model to be used in describing enrollment
procedures and create a document for a framework how this is to be done.
The group will then produce three documents profiling the use of the
framework for the following cases:

I think you mean "for the following types of keying material".

1.	A shared secret key
2.	A bare asymmetric key
3.	A bound asymmetric key (e.g. an X.509 certificate).

As part of the validation of the framework, the group will examine how
other real world enrollment procedures could be profiled.  (An example
of this would be credit card usage.)

I can't map credit card information to any of the 3 pieces of data mentioned above, so I take it that it's part of the input to the enrollment process, not part of the output. "usage of a credit card as input to the enrollment process"?

I think the work looks sensible, if I understand it - but this is an area where things can be particularly esoteric, so trying to map it down to short words for general consumption is probably a Good Thing.

Nit: No words about documenting the threat models and the resulting security considerations? :-)

Harald