Re: laugh test - capwap

The last effort that tried for something in nearly the same space was FORCES, I think. What's the relationship (if any) between what was learned there and this effort?

Another analogy is L2 PPVPNs. We have groups both in IETF and in IEEE working on this. As I understand it, they have managed to carve out portions of the problem within their respective areas of expertise. In this case it is also likely that we will have IETF and IEEE groups working on the problem, except that the charter is somewhat vague on how the split will be handled.

Nit - one thing is for certain: calling the thing that does weird stuff with Access Points an Access Router is a biasing of the architecture that's completely uncalled-for. No way you should require the net's access router and AP controller to be on the same box.

What's more, if one portion of the "split AP" does in fact meet the definition of a router, I can't see how both entities comprising the Access Point can function correctly within the 802.11 architecture. For example:

1. What does a router do when it receives a packet?
2. If one half of the "split AP" did this, then forwarding decisions would most certainly not be made based on the learning table created from Association/Reassociation state, which is how an 802.11 AP functions.

I think this highlights some of the risks in having the architecture work done in the IETF.

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy patented spam protection and more. Sign up now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa