10      0.000105

In other words, the probability of having exactly 4 members of the Nomcom from the 48 cisco/nortel/nokia folks is about 25.9%. The chance of having at least 5 members is about 42%....

Later, Mike

At 18:51 10/6/2003, Michael StJohns wrote:

From: Richard Draves <richdr@microsoft.com>
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Subject: NomCom Volunteer List

At this time, 2727bis has not yet been approved as an RFC. Hence I will
use RFC 2727's eligibility criteria (attended 2 of the last 3 IETF
meetings) when performing the random selection.

 I will not check the
primary affiliation of the volunteers.

Umm... BULLSHIT! On this list of 113 volunteers, 16 come from Cisco, 19 from nokia and 13 from Nortel. 48 in total or about 42% of the total list. That means it wouldn't be unusual for 6 of the 10 to come from this group. And it wouldn't be all that unusual for 3 or 4 to come from Nokia or Cisco. (Statistically speaking)

This was supposed to be fixed and it was the IESGs job to get this document through the process prior to this beginning....

At that, what's in the document still isn't a fix - we could still end up with 6 or more from this group... could we at least keep them from all being from one organization - please.

Mike

If the RFC 2777 algorithm selects
an ineligible volunteer, I will repeat the method until I have ten
eligible and willing volunteers.