Re: IESG Issue 1

At 8:17 PM +0700 10/08/2003, Robert Elz wrote:

>  | The list of positions is posted publicly along with the call for
>  | nominations.  So, would this information (which will come in through
>  | the same channel, probably at the same time) also be posted publicly?
>
>I agree with Scott's answer to Avri's question.   Yes, of course it is.
>
>How could anyone rationally imagine a job ad (which is essentially what
>a call for nominations is - except no remuneration is being offered...)
>in which there was no statement of what qualifications and abilities are
>expected of those who might apply (or be nominated for) the job in question.

That's not quite the issue I heard.

There are things you may say to a selection committee that you should not
say in the ad.  The IESG might, for example, say to the NomCom that it
was considering shutting down an area and that the NomCom should
take the potential candidate's reaction to that into account.  It might
not be appropriate to say it to the IETF as a whole at the same time, though,
if the matter were still under discussion and the early announcement would
affect the work in the working groups still alive.  Communication with
the NomCom is normally confidential, so sharing it with them is possible.

Clarifying this text makes sure future IESGs and NomComs know which bits
of their discussions fall under the confidentiality and which don't.

So the IESG sends one public statement like "the OSI integration area directory
should be able to $X" and a confidential statement like "this area may be
closed within the 2 year period of the appointment, so you might want to
look for someone who can approach that decision without rancor".

Not that big a deal, really, but not irrational to imagine.
				regards,
					Ted Hardie