RE: [xmppwg] Last Call: 'XMPP Core' to Proposed Standard

If the TLS tunnel is only server authenticated and the client supports a
particular SASL method (perhaps even in a different protocol)that
provides mutual authentication both inside and outside a TLS tunnel
there is a vulnerability.  In this case if only the message protection
of TLS is used you cannot be sure that the client endpoint of the TLS
tunnel is the same client endpoint that the server authenticated with
SASL.

To mitigate this problem you can:

- Use the protection from the inner SASL method
- Have the SASL authentication mechanism authenticate the TLS Session ID
or some similar parameter
- Require different credentials be used by a SASL mechanism when
operating inside or outside a TLS tunnel.

Joe