Re: Last Call: 'UDP Encapsulation of IPsec Packets' to Proposed Standard

On Friday, 24 Oct 2003, Tero wrote:
[... snipped quote from Chinna's letter]

> I do not remember where the 20/30 seconds actually came from, but I
> remember someone saying that 30 seconds was quite normal (i.e thats
> why we use 20 seconds), and as you can see from above Chinna N.R.
> Pellacuru says that there has been practical recommended timer of 9
> seconds.

Ok, & thanks. I've not come across a NAT with less than a couple of
minutes timeout myself, so I suspect this may be very atypical. I don't
know if the tradeoffs are different here than in the MIP case, but I
know that cellular operators are horrified at the thought of waking up
to send packets every 110 seconds. Not that they'd need it if they don't
deploy NATs...

> > As for the description of the DOS attack, I still think that should be
> > explicit. What kind of attack is it? What are the details? Doing "the
> > strictest possible checks for UDP packets" how?
>
> There are dozens of different UDP packet attacks, lots of them are
> related to fragments (i.e sending every other fragment, sending 4000
> small fragments, sending packets that go over the 64k limit etc). I do
> not think it is practical to list them all here.

If they are described in some other RFC, fine, then refer to that. If
not, I don't think you should put this mechanism out there without
explicitly describing the attacks that this mechanism makes possible,
which would not be possible otherwise. Sorry.

	Henrik