Some notes on mailman lists

hi,

I think some people may not know everything about running lists under Mailman (I'm sure I don't!)
Still - some hints that I've found useful......

- The secretariat runs Mailman 2.0. If your list is currently under Majordomo, it should be simple to ask the secretariat to move it to Mailman.
- You can choose to send nonsubscriber mail to the moderator, or to send it to the list. The flag is called "Restrict posting privilege to list members", and you set it under "Privacy Options".
- On the same page, you can also set whether the list name must appear in the headers - this filters some spam too. If your list is known by multiple names, you have to list them all, though.
- Under "General options", you can set the max size of messages sent to the list (in Kb). Most virii are > 100 Kbytes.

Unfortunately, there are few things you can do to get obvious spam thrown away rather than sent to the moderators; a script for running spamassassin on the held messages was posted here some time ago, but I don't know who has managed to make it work for them. (I have it working, but not with the IETF-hosted lists....)

Share information! And have fun!

Harald