Re: Thinking about adding another AD in the General(ish) area

Sounds like a good idea.

Russ

At 08:51 AM 10/30/2003 -0800, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
This is something I've been thinking of for a while, but if doing this makes sense in the current cycle, we need to get this into Rich's hands Real Soon Now...

in the current situation, two things have become clear:
- There are a number of activities going on that the IETF Chair feels responsible for. Some of them, but far from all, involve the General area and the procedure updates. Others include a lot of inter-function relationship management, and keeping track of IETF-wide topics and issues that cannot be solved within a single area.
- There are a significant number of those things that has a significant amount of context which is not shared with the rest of the IESG. The IAB chair shares quite a lot of the context, but does not have the same areas of responsibility.
- The load imposed by process issues is very high at the moment, and is likely to stay there for some time - but should eventually decrease to a more reasonable level.
- The way the IESG works is likely to have to change anyway, for other reasons, so adding more people to the IESG might not be so much of a long-term problem that I've thought it would be before.

Considering all this, I suggest that we can ask the Nomcom for an AD to fill the position of "Assistant IETF Chair and General AD". The function of this person would be to be the other AD for the General area, just as in other two-person areas, and to assist and consult with the Chair in following up IETF-wide issues and cross-area issues. Decision power for chair issues would not change, but the assistant chair would be expected to keep abreast of what the current issues are.

Given the current rate of change in this area, I suggest that we select that person for a period of ONE year, not two.

makes any sense?