Re: Thinking about adding another AD in the General(ish) area

--On 30. oktober 2003 22:06 -0500 Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Harald,

This is a good thread to explore. Thanks for bringing it up. I also
assume you've thought about this for a while and that you are looking
for both of the following:

- offloading the GEN area to someone else
- some help in what are essentially chair duties, not AD duties

If the first were to happen, would the second still be required. I'm
reading your answer as yes, based on this thread, but it would be good
to be clear on this.

Yes.

Hesitant to call it "required" - I'm not as certain as that - but it's the state-sharing issue that concerns me the most.
We've got much experience with dealing with handovers of areas - WG chairs keep a good deal of state, and there's a fairly bonded set of things going on - but the other stuff is what worries me.

My three working groups do need followup, and it would be good to have someone else with a responsibility for them, but they are not the major part of the load. At least not now!

(note - at Wye River time, I did investigate briefly having another AD who was already on the IESG "seconded" to GEN - for various reasons, it did not happen. But it wouldn't have been an unreasonable thing to do.)