Re: FW: Application for port-number (system-klensin)

> I don't know what the rules are, but if we can delay it, I think we
> should.  Building a new protocol based on this view of message
> sequences at this point just doesn't seem like a good idea.
> I'd like to see the draft and talk to John before we approve it.

I am having a hard time understanding why a remote routine would be used to perform this function. I understand that Paul Hoffman wrote an implementation in perl so that people could play with it and determine if it is really going to be useful. It is a command line hack that takes a port number as an argument, so it can be used without an IANA assignment. I would like to hear the results of this experiment before a port number is assigned.

Russ