Re: Thinking about adding another AD in the General(ish) area

I can't speak to what was on Harald's mind when he proposed it, but having a "hot spare" for an interim period is reasonable.

That's not inconsistent with saying that person is not the
heir-designate for the permanent position (cf US presidential
and vice-presidential arrangements).

BTW, a theory that I have heard floated in the past is that
the IAB and IETF Chair can provide each other some backup in
such instances.  As long as there are Chairs that seem to work
reasonably well together (i.e., are sharing context), and
the remaining one isn't entirely new to the process, that does
provide some protection against that unpleasant scenario.  It's
probably not enough, particularly when we can't dictate circumstances
or mandate term overlap.

Leslie.