Supplementary MDN Implementation Report

This is a supplementary implementation report in support of the elevation of the MDN protocol to draft standard as documented in draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt.

IESG-Secretary, please post this on the implementation report web-site.

As I understand from Ned, this addresses the outstanding concerns addressed by the IESG.  I respectfully request that this protocol be approved!

Greg V.

------------------------------

Supplemental Interoperability report for MDN
  - Compiled by Greg Vaudreuil 10/22/2003

This interoperability report was created by downloading three
freely available PC-based messaging clients and sending messages
between them.  Three elements were tested.  1) Ability to request
the receipt, 2) Ability to generate the report, and 3) Ability to
display and/or interpret the result.

The three clients tested that support the feature.
  Microsoft Outliik Express Version 6
  Qualcomm Eudora Version 6
  Netscape Messenger Version 7.1

There are other PC Desktop clients that support this feature but I did not have the infrastructure to easily test their support.

MS Outlook Express Version 6
----------------------------

Example request as sent

  Disposition-Notification-To: "Laurie Vaudreuil" <gregv@sbcglobal.net>

Example receipt sent after confirmation by recipient of message
  (This example in response to Eudora's request)

  Final-Recipient: rfc822;gregv@sbcglobal.net
  Disposition: manual-action/MDN-sent-manually; displayed

MS Outlook Express did not generate a deleted MDN when
a message is deleted without being read.

Receipt received was displayed as a regular multipart
message, displaying the human-readable text and showing
the machine readable portion and original message

Eudora Version 6
----------------

Example request as sent

  Disposition-Notification-To: <gregv@sbcglobal.net>

Example receipt sent after confirmation by recipient of message

  Reporting-UA: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 6.0.0.22
  Final-Recipient: rfc822; <gregv@sbcglobal.net>
  Disposition: manual-action/MDN-sent-manually; displayed

Eudora does not include the original message or RFC822-headers
as the other two implementations do. This is an optional
component of the multipart/report and the other implementations
have no trouble with the part missing.

Eudora did not generate a deleted MDN when a message is

-------------------------------

Example request as sent

  Disposition-Notification-To: Laurie Vaudreuil <gregv@sbcglobal.net>

Example Receipt Generated (example in response to Outlook Express 6 request)

  Reporting-UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
  Final-Recipient: rfc822;gregv@sbcglobal.net
  Disposition: manual-action/MDN-sent-manually; displayed

  I could not get the "automatically sent" action to work. When
  configured to send receipts automatically, it still prompted
  me to send a MDN.

  Messenger did not generate a deleted MDN when a message is
  deleted without being read.

Behavior when receiving a MDN

  Netscape messenger 7.1 automatically detects the message as a
  Disposition Notification, parses the data, and formats it in
  a human friendly form.  Further, configuration options can
  send all read receipts directly to the sent items folder upon
  receipt.

Interoperability Interactions

       \  To    Eudora 6       Outlook          Netscape 7.1
>From     \                     Express 6        for Windows
Eudora 6   |   User Prompted,   User Prompted   User Prompted
           |    Receipt Sent     Receipt Sent    Receipt Sent

Outlook    |  User Prompted,   User Prompted   User Prompted
Express 6  |   Receipt Sent     Receipt Sent    Receipt Sent

Netscape 7 |  User Prompted,   User Prompted   User Prompted