RE: Application for port-number (system-klensin) (revised) (fwd)

I see no reason why this needs to be a system port, and I will bet a dozen donuts
that we'll have every problem we currently have with whois and finger with this
very quickly.  I can virtually guarantee you, for example, that some bright spark
will start sending bitstrings separated by spaces so they can do multiple translations
at once (if I have this need for two different labels in an fqdn, after all, why send
two messages?).  Some other bright spark may, of course, go a different way,
and we'll be back to the fun and games in we have now in whois parsers.

I'm also really not convinced of the need for these servers in the idna framework.
If the punycode conversions can be done relatively easily on a mid-level phone
(and I've just confirmed that the tables and memory fit in phones
common in India and Brazil, two of our touchstones for these things), why is
this being done over the flipping network?  What devices need this and can't
do it for themselves?

Maybe I just need more caffeine, but I don't see this as useful infrastructure or
a good protocol model.  I'll try to talk to John about this in Minneapolis, but
can we hold off in the mean time?
				Ted