FWD: SIRS

------- Forwarded Message

From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:20:15 +0100
Subject: SIRS

This may be too late but here goes...

The 24 SIRs registered have reported doing a total of 5 reviews
since we started the experiment. (Recruitment of SIRs started
on June 2nd.)

This is certainly an underestimate, since one of the big bugs in
the experiment is the lack of a proper web site for soliciting,
tracking, and publishing reviews. There has been a lot of unreported
reviewing going on. What I can say is that

1. The idea has generated a lot of sympathy for the importance
   of improved and more systematic reviewing before documents get
   near the IESG.

1a. A number of very constructive counter-proposals have appeared
   and we need to find consensus on the best approach.

2. The SIR acronym and the graybeards.net web site name prevented quite
   a few from volunteering.

3. Although Harald encouraged the experiment, the fact that it
   wasn't an official experiment actively encouraged by the IESG
   and hosted at ietf.org was clearly a disincentive.

     Brian

------- End of Forwarded Message