Re: [Solutions] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-zinin-early-review-00.txt

Two comments inline..

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Alex Zinin wrote:
> > my observation from a relatively short time on ops-dir is that it's
> > performing only IESG reviews, not early review as such.
>
> I had at least a couple of cases where I got reviews from ops-dir
> at the pre-IESG stage...

True, I think I've done at least one (bgp4-21) myself.. these are just
rather rare compared to the rest..

> > assigns how?  I guess the ART members should have some say in what
> > they should be reviewing as well.. :-)
>
> I used the "running code" for rtg-dir, but if you have a suggestion on
> how to better assign the reviewers, I'd be very interested. My
> experience shows that explicit assignment by ADs works much better
> than the self-pickup method where each reviewers decides if he needs
> to review the referred doc or not.

Explicit assingnment is good, because it increases the probability that
something will actually get done, otherwise everybody just thinks someone
else will be doing it.

However, my main argument was about the process of "assignment".
Personally I wouldn't probably appreciate anyone telling me "read this and
this by 2 weeks, thanks!" -- because I may not have the time then, might
not be interested in the documents in question or whatever reasons.  So
there probably has to be some dialogue about the documents being reviewed
in some form or another.

E.g., the dialogue could be that the AD proposes a set of documents to be
reviewed, the reviewers tell which ones they're interested in and will do,
and they're earmarked (might not be successful, due to the problems
mentioned before), or the AD proposes review assignments, and unless
exchanges/objections/etc. come up within a couple of days, they're
considered assigned.

Of course, it should be pretty obvious to the ADs how this should be
probably be handled that everyone would feel being treated fairly and
spending time on reviews that he's interested about, has expertise on,
etc. -- but I was just concerned on the wording used..