Re: sub-tree filtering proposals

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:34:55PM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:

> 1) It might not be easy to get the WG to agree on a minimal subset

So here is a proposal. Netconf implementations must support filter
expressions that are the following subset of XPATH expressions. The
subset consists of the following features:

1) Absolute and relative paths (where path elements are element
   names):

   //users/user/name
   /users/user/name
   //name

2) Element value selectors:

   //users/user/name
   //users/user[name="fred"]
   //users/user[name="fred"]/name

3) Attributes selectors:

   //interface[@ifName="eth0"]

4) Expressions may contain multiple path expressions, separated by
   a | symbol

   //users/user[name="root"]/type | //interface[@ifName="eth0"]

This set of features covers all the examples Andy posted and thus seems
to be sufficient. ;-) What it boils down to is to select stuff by path,
element values and attribute values.

Sure, this needs to be written down more formally and in a way that is
consistent with the XPATH specification. I am willing to give that a
try if people can agree that this is indeed a reasonable XPATH subset
that is easy to implement and serves our purpose.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany