Re: sub-tree filtering proposals

At 04:46 AM 6/5/2004, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:34:55PM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:

I have asked the XML Directorate to consider the subtree proposal
and this Xpath subset proposal, and give their opinion.
If they think we should use this Xpath subset, then I don't
mind choosing Xpath subset over subtree filtering.

>> 1) It might not be easy to get the WG to agree on a minimal subset
>
>So here is a proposal. Netconf implementations must support filter
>expressions that are the following subset of XPATH expressions. The
>subset consists of the following features:
>
>1) Absolute and relative paths (where path elements are element
>   names):
>
>   //users/user/name
>   /users/user/name
>   //name
>
>2) Element value selectors:
>
>   //users/user/name
>   //users/user[name="fred"]
>   //users/user[name="fred"]/name
>
>3) Attributes selectors:
>
>   //interface[@ifName="eth0"]

How can multiple element and/or attribute selectors be combined?

>4) Expressions may contain multiple path expressions, separated by
>   a | symbol
>
>   //users/user[name="root"]/type | //interface[@ifName="eth0"]
>
>This set of features covers all the examples Andy posted and thus seems
>to be sufficient. ;-) What it boils down to is to select stuff by path,
>element values and attribute values.

I think this is a good minimal subset.  It's actually way more
powerful than what we have now with SNMP or CLI.

>Sure, this needs to be written down more formally and in a way that is
>consistent with the XPATH specification. I am willing to give that a
>try if people can agree that this is indeed a reasonable XPATH subset
>that is easy to implement and serves our purpose.
>
>/js

Andy