Re: sub-tree filtering proposals

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:32:19PM -0400, Phil Shafer wrote:

> Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:
> >> [...] Given that high-end devices are likely
> >> to just pick up a full implementation (libxml2), the subset
> >> will be broken day one.  Even then, the ability of the
> >> device to implement arbitrary bits of XPath logic and
> >> expressions will be an immense and changing burden.

> >Please elaborate.
>
> Here's a recent elaboration:

>  >Subsetting will lead to differing subsets.  You won't know what you
>  >can do until you know what implementation you're talking to.  Unless
>  >you believe users will restrain themselves and stay within the
>  >defined subset.

Either the filter mechanism is standardized or not. I fail to see why
an ad-hoc subtree filtering mechanism is any better or worse compared
to an XPATH subset as long as it is well defined and standardized.

[ The rest of the quoted email does not seem to give any additional
  insights why chosing a subset of xpath "will be an immense and
  changing burden". Sorry if I missed the important piece. ]

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany