Re: sub-tree filtering proposals

On 09. Jun 2004, at 15:42, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

[...]
First, I believe a subset of XPATH (not an adapted subset) is still better
than something homegrown.

I agree.

(The most vocal members of the WG do not seem
to buy full XPATH as a requirement.)

Maybe the reason is, that there are still not many operators and developers
of manager software raising their voice. (I'm just guessing.)

 Personally, I believe that the
operators using netconf will ask for full XPATH anyway, so the subset
requirement will likely not be a real issue in practice.

However, a netconf standard should have the purpose to come to a common sense on what agents support and what managers can rely on. If we have reasons to assume that operators and others will ask for full XPath (and I do think so, too) we should address this need *now* (and BTW not in a subsequent revision as long as we did not even find rough consensus for the initial revision).

I think the general idea is that boxes announce whether they do support full
XPATH or just a reduced subset. I do not see that there is anything wrong
with this.

In general, I agree.

The alternative, a home grow filter format which implementations are
required to support, seems worse to me. Bottom line is that either
(a) the netconf WG makes a decision to require XPATH full stop, or
(b) the WG makes a decision to support XPATH and require a subset of it, or
(c) the WG makes a decision to support XPATH and to require another
home-grown filter format.

Since (a) does not seem to be getting WG consensus, I believe (b) is the
best we can do.

First to say, my preference would be (a). If there are reasons against (a)
(I guess, I missed a discussion on this), I would also favor (b) over (c).