RE: digest-auth, nonce replay issue

wolfgang.beck01@t-online.de <mailto:wolfgang.beck01@t-online.de> supposedly scribbled:

>> Maybe not: I think that it is only necessary for the attacker to be
>> capable of eavesdropping on the conversation between the RADIUS
>> client & server & then masquerading as the client later, possibly by
>> replaying the Access-Request.
>>
> RADIUS server and client must use IPSec in the relevant mode anyway,

Searching about in the draft, I can't find any place where the words "MUST" and "IPSec" appear in the same sentence.  I do find several passages that assume that applications can know whether or not the application traffic is protected by IPSec, something that I was unaware was possible...

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel