Proposal for extension of Radius Accounting

Good day all

We at Point6 are working in the Softwires WG on a solution for IPv6 access for Home Networks, as described in draft-toutain-softwire- point6box-00.txt In this solution we use L2TP/PPP for IPv6 tunneling. Access AAA parameters are managed with Radius.

We found an issue with current FreeBSD PPP implementation on Radius accounting : Attributes Acct-{Input,Output}-Octets and Acct-{Input,Output}-Packets are only based on accounting informations from IPCP. Since our solution only use IPV6CP, we have to modify the code in PPP to send IPV6CP accounting information in these Radius attributes.

The basic solution may be just to add IPCP and IPV6CP values and to transmit these sums as value for these attributes. Another solution may also to have separate accounting attributes for IPv4 and IPv6. We think this may be only relevant for packets (as it is done in system MIBs for instance). Our proposal is to have two more attributes for Radius accounting : Acct-IPv6-Input-Packets and Acct-IPv6-Output-Packets.

The rational of this proposal is to give operators who deploy dual stack access solution some accounting information about IPv6/IPv4 usage ratio. We ask the Radext WG to take position on this proposal. Some inputs may also come from the Softwires WG.

Regards,
--
Bruno STEVANT - Point6