Re: Extended-Space attribute draft available

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 07:10:35PM -0800, Glen Zorn (gwz) wrote:
> On 2/27/2006 09:09 PM, Barney Wolff wrote:
> > Greg Weber and I have written a draft defining an Extended-Space
> > attribute.  Here's the abstract:
> >
> >    The RADIUS protocol is being extended beyond the wildest
> >    imaginations of its original designers.
>
> Unless we worked at Livingston, I don't think we are the original designers so how do we know what their wildest imaginations were?  OTOH, the kind of extensions happening now were certainly within the wildest (or even mundane) imaginations of the RADIUS WG; their pursuit was simply not allowed in that venue (thus the whole NASREQ/Diameter fiasco).

I certainly don't claim to be a designer of RADIUS.  But I did join
the list in Feb 1995, when RADIUS was at draft -02, and exchanged
quite a lot of cordial email with Carl Rigney, and even some with
Bill Simpson.  I have too much respect for the designers to believe
that had imaginations back then predicted the state of things more
than a decade later there would have been no mechanism for extending
Type and Length, at least.

Regards,
Barney